- To promote excellence in medical care for residents of all ages in nursing homes and other long-term care settings.
- To promote peer education among medical directors, attending, referring, and consulting physicians on nursing home staffs and in long-term settings.
- To assist non-medical providers, consultants, nursing home staff, and regulatory agencies in maintaining high standards of resident care.
- To assist family and others in the understanding, acceptance and assistance for residents in long-term care.
- To establish and promote educational programs for maintaining a high standard of professional care in long-term institutions.
- To act as liaison with other professional organizations and individuals to promote quality resident care.
- To promote the enactment of laws, regulations and payment systems to accomplish these objectives.